Well, Romford District Explorers and Network members ‘loved’ joining many other teams from GLNE to take part in the 36th annual Southern 50 Competition! The competition is a tough hiking challenge held in the Chiltern Hills. The event tests your hiking endurance, your navigational skills, teamwork skills and your mental and physical ability. The competition is broken down into three categories; The 30km event, the 50km event and the 50 Mile event.
4 teams of Explorers from Romford took part in the 30km event and finished in fantastic times that they are all so desperate to improve on next year. The Network team took part in the 50km event and again completed the route and look to better their time next year. The competition is so addictive!
The route takes you through various mandatory checkpoints where you are greeted, enthused and encouraged by the fantastic checkpoint teams. It is here that you are filled with plenty of snacks and treats to keep you moving. Along the way you see many hiking teams, which makes a great opportunity to talk all things scouting (and flick mud!)
Would you be interested in entering a team next year? Do you have what it takes to be a Southern 50 finisher or even better, a Southern 50 winner??
Follow the Southern 50 Facebook page for photos, and updates about next years competition. Visit the Southern 50 website to view the league table to find out where teams from your district finished and in what times.
See you all next year then?
Romford Network Member – Greater London North East
Southern 50 Challenge – GLNE Results
26. 12:10 – RED – 2nd East London
27. 12:30 – Shabbabblybubbs – Docklands DESU, 2nd East London
30. 13:02 – Dragons ESU Team 1 – Hornchurch
31. 13:36 – Romford Leader Team – Romford
10. 7:13 – Team B – Romford ESU
13. 7:19 – Adventure Time – Docklands DESU, 2nd East London
18. 7:57 – Team C – Romford ESU
26. 8:30 – Dragons ESU Team 2 – Hornchurch
31. 8:57 – Team D – Romford ESU
39. 9:45 – Team A – Romford ESU